Pro Dance Services is run by Janet Lee Chapman
Our dance teacher Janet (picture here with partner John), has 30 years experience in the UK dance business, working mainly in Merseyside, Lancashire, and Cumbria as a performer, teacher and event organiser. Though shes been dancing since she was three so you could say she been in the business over 50 years.
A former British Dance Council Championship Adjudicator and a former United Kingdom Alliance Examiner.
Trained under many great teachers such as Margaret Redmond, Iris Mayers, David Bullen, as well as Former World Ballroom, Latin American and Show Dance Champion Eric Lashbrooke, and former World Cabaret Challenge Winner Keith Morris.
She was principal teacher of JLC Dance Ltd from 2000-2020 (twenty years) when it sadly closed due to Covid 19.
Commencing her teaching career in November 1989 with the ADA, she joined the UKA in 1996 and became a Fellow in Ballroom with them in 2004 and Latin American 2005 and in 2009 she became a Fellow with the IDTA in both Ballroom and Latin American.
She is also qualified in
- Classical Sequence , Club Dance (Salsa) and Freestyle (Disco) to Licentiate level.
- Rock ‘n’ Roll, Street Dance, and Cheer leading to Associate level
- Argentine Tango, Swing, American Smooth n Rhythm, and Oriental Dance to Registered Teacher level.
- Personal Trainer (level 3)
- Yoga Instructor,
- Pilates Instructor,
- Diet and Nutritional Adviser, level 4 and a Weight Loss Coach.
Janet is a former Zumba instructor and was licensed to teach these classes from 2010-2020.
- Zumba Basic Instructor,
- Zumba Circuit,
- Zumba Core, Gluts,
- Zumba Burst,
- Zumba Indian, Caribbean, and Brazilian.
- Zumba Plate,
Dance Today -Dancing Times
Janet was voted second in the dance teacher of the year 2017 awards.
TV and Radio Appearances:
- BBC’s “Holiday of a Lifetime” with Len Goodmen and Anton Du Beck,
- BBC Radio Lancashire “Gilly lights up the coast”,
- BBC Ireland- “Beyond a Joke”, with Roy Walker
- BBC Points of View,
- BBC News Round,
- Channel 5 “Tim Marlows Art Show”,
- Channels 4 “Four in a Bed”,
- Japanese TV – “Holidays with Tram Journeys “…………
Her work with Disabilities and Dementia (through JLC Dance ) in particular has been recognised and written about in the book “The Unlikely Dancer” by
Janet holds A Disability Awareness Certificate from Blackpool Council
and has run “Silver Tea Dances” and “Seated Dance Sessions” for people with disabilities, especially those suffering from Dementia for most of her career, working with both Lancashire and Blackpool Councils.
Working closely with Blackpool Victoria Hospital Janet has helped run a number of events to promote dementia awareness.
She is pictured with a number of her dancers and Alzheimer’s Ambassador Anne Nolan. (of the Nolan sisters)
and she was head judge on the Our Blue Light “Strictly Come Dancing” promoting mental health awareness within the emergency services in 2017. pictured here with Phil Winston and Liz Murphy
Performance Artist Tate Northern 2004
You may have seen Janet with her partner Keith Jones at the Liverpool Biannual or on Channel 5 “Tim Marlows Art Show”, dancing in the instillation Swirl by Valeska Soares.
or on the Roy Walker documentary that was air next BBC One Northern Ireland in December 2019 and shows Roy thoroughly enjoying a lesson with Janet and several of his classmates! Roy has been attending Janet’s classes for 5 years.
maybe you met her at the Blackpool Museum Project in the Blackpool Tower Circus in January 2020, pictured below with Graeme Hiles and Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen
or trying to teach Gilly to Cha Cha on the Blackpool promenade in 2015 Radio Lancashire “Gilly lights up the coast”,
Some of you may have come to the UK for lessons with Janet
Like our lovely group of teachers from Sanya who came for Latin technique lessons.
or our friends from Sweden who came for a Social Dance holiday and workshop.
You may have been in one of Janet’s performance groups, on a dance holiday she has run, taken an award in a medal class or attended a workshop. Were ever it was we know you’ve had fun because you told us. Reviews
Awareness courses Janet has attended
- First Aid- Emergency, ( Level 3)
- Lancashire Safeguarding Children Board (Level 1,)
- Safeguarding Adults at Risk ,
- Child Sexual Exploitation Awareness,
- Let’s Respect an introduction to Dementia,
- NYSCB & CYSCB Safeguarding Basic,
- UK Anti-Doping Accredited Adviser,
- UK Anti-Doping Clean Coach…..
- UKA Child Awareness Protection,
- Sports for all Disability Inclusion Training,
- Inspiring positive behaviour in Sports ( Sports UK,)
- O.U. LETS: A community development (Level 1,)
- O.U. Three principles of a coaching approach (Level 1,)
- O.U. Working with young people in sport & exercise (Level 2,)
Other teaching qualifications
- Teaching English as a Foreign Language – Level 3
- Early Years Foundation Stage Teaching – Level 2
- Teaching Assistant -Level 3
- Business And Administration NVQ:- Level 2,
- City and Guilds English Speaking Level 2,
- Hearing, speech and language OU:- level Intermediate
- Infants’ understanding of their social world OU:- Level Advanced
- Understanding Dyslexia OU:- Level Intermediate
- Learning to Teach;-
- Becoming A Reflective Practitioner OU:- Level Advanced
- Making Sense of Learning to Teach OU:- Level Advanced
- An Introduction to Classroom Research OU:- Level Advanced
- Mentoring and Tutoring Student Teachers OU:- Level Advanced